There are two kinds of people in the morning
A. People that wake up after their 1st alarm. Their only alarm.
B. People…that after 7 failed attempts to be woken up by “Twinkle” (via iPhone) have finally shot out of bed, because they now realize that the sun looks a little too up in the sky for them to make it to work on time. F bombs included.
As a teacher with a 5am wake up call… I am definitely a B type.
I love preparing healthy breakfasts and snacks ahead of time. Not only does it save me time throughout my busy day, but it also keeps me making good food choices! Let’s be real, without a good meal prep I’d probably be eating Mexican food takeout daily. (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner.)
After trying a few clean eating muffin recipes, I couldn’t quite find one that actually had the texture of a muffin without being too dry.
So I improvised and came up with this recipe.
These muffins are SERIOUSLY my go-to breakfast, snack and pre-workout nom nom. Even my fiancé loves them! (…and he’s a picky eater!)
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
- 2 Cups of Old Fashioned Quick Oats
- 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 cup of Unsweetened Apple Sauce – or 2 ripe bananas (You will taste the bananas)
- 3/4 cup of Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 Tablespoons of Almond Butter or All Natural Peanut Butter
Muffin Add-ins (your choice!):
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Honey glazed on top for added sweetness
- Chopped Pecans
- Any chopped fruit or nuts
- Preheat Oven to 350º
- Mix Dry ingredients & Wet ingredients separately.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix. (if batter looks too thick, add a splash of almond milk)
- Add any additional add-ins (fruits, nuts, chocolate chips…)
- Fill each muffin tin cup with 1/4 cup of batter. (Use muffin liners or spray/grease cups)
- Bake Muffins for 22-25 minutes in oven
- Let them cool and enjoy! I store mine in a plastic container in the refrigerator for freshness.
(Each muffin starts at 80 calories, 3g fat, 13g carbs, 2g sugar & 3g of protein. Nutrition will be altered once you add in your toppings.)